Countdown To GDPR Compliance: Get It Right By May 25 201816th Mar 2018
Get your consent policies right – that’s the key to complying with the impending General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), warn Coles Miller Solicitors.
Head of Coles Miller’s Commercial Department, Partner Neil Andrews, will address the Business Breakfast Club on Wednesday March 21 (7.15am for 7.45am until 9.15am) at the Connaught Hotel, West Hill Road, Bournemouth.
“You’ve probably heard a lot of GDPR horror stories about draconian fines. GDPR will not take effect until May 25 2018 but fines exist already under current data protection legislation,” he said.
“GDPR is merely the latest stage in a long history of data protection legislation that dates back 30 years – so you should already be safeguarding data responsibly.”
Key considerations are:
- Where are you holding data? Is it secure?
- Do you have the subjects’ consent to hold data about them?
- Can you provide subjects with the data you hold on them if they request it? Within the current 40-day time limit? (That deadline will shorten to one calendar month under GDPR – and subjects will not have to pay an administration fee.)
- Do you have a data protection policy in place? Have you made people aware of it? Have you trained your staff about it?
- Does your marketing comply? Are you ensuring you email recipients only about their chosen topics? Make sure you are not spamming them!
Book your place at the business breakfast by via Eventbrite. For more information about GDPR, contact Coles Miller Partner Neil Andrews, 01202 355695.