Fees for Probate Services
The Probate department within Coles Miller Solicitors LLP would expect the administration of a typical estate to take between 15 and 20 hours (this is subject to individual matters) with work charged at £230 + VAT per hour. Total costs would therefore be estimated at £3,450-4,600 + VAT, plus disbursements.
The exact cost will depend on the deceased’s individual circumstances, for example, if there is one beneficiary and no property to sell, costs will be at or below the lower end of the estimate. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at, or above the higher end of the estimate.
We will handle the full process for you. The estimate issued is applicable to estates where:
- There is a valid Will that deals clearly and properly with the assets held by the deceased. This does not apply in circumstances where there may, for example, be a discretionary trust incorporated in the Will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 3 banks or building societies holding accounts for the deceased
- There are no other intangible assets of financial value
- There are no more than 3-4 beneficiaries and no more than 3-4 specific gifts in the Will
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to a substantial increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
- You are able to supply Coles Miller Solicitors LLP with original copies of the deceased’s final Will, death certificate, marriage certificate (if appropriate), title deeds and any other death certificates and wills for any spouse or civil partner who has predeceased.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees.
We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smooth process.
Disbursement costs include:
- £155 Probate application fee
- £7 Swearing of the oath (per executor)
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2 per beneficiary)
- £120 Post in The London Gazette – protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors
- £60 Post in a Local Newspaper – this also helps to protect against unexpected claims.
There are several circumstances which are likely to incur additional costs:
- If there is no Will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds); it is likely that additional costs could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with*
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost 50p (1 per asset usually)
- If the estate includes any offshore or overseas assets, additional costs are highly likely and we may need to appoint an overseas lawyer to help administer those assets
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate
- If the estate includes a leasehold property and the lease is either short or defective.
*We would willingly issue a more accurate quote once we have obtained the information required.
Further information on Partners, Solicitors, and their level of expertise and qualifications can be found here.
We do offer fixed fees for obtaining a grant of representation only. If matters were straightforward and there are no dealings with HMRC, our fees are £850 + VAT plus disbursements.
Get Expert Legal Advice
For an accurate quote for your wills and probate matter, please contact Coles Miller today using the form below or request a call back.
Make An Enquiry
Meet The Team
Chartered Legal Executive