Skip to content

Sexual Abuse

Sexual abuse changes lives.

Anyone can be a victim of criminal abuse – be it physical, sexual or psychological.

The circumstances surrounding individual cases can be very broad. Criminal abuse can happen at any age and at the hands of any number of different culprits, from family members to complete strangers.

If you or a loved one fall victim to abuse, we understand that talking about it can be traumatic. Our experienced solicitors are here for you when you are ready.

Seeking compensation can help you to access crucial resources and move forward from your abuse. It can also help to mitigate some of the previous and ongoing losses you have experienced as a result of the abuse, such as being unable to work or paying for counselling.

We will sensitively discuss your circumstances privately with you. We will help you to seek the maximum compensation from those responsible for your abuse. Together, we will help you to find hope in your future.


What Kind Of Sexual And Other Criminal Abuse Can I Claim For?

Instances of criminal abuse can vary significantly in nature. Common instances that our solicitors deal with are:

  • abuse suffered as a child in local authority or foster care (or failure by social services to protect a child from abuse)
  • abuse suffered as a child (perpetrated by someone who is in a position of responsibility and trust)
  • abuse suffered as a child within organisations such as sporting clubs, youth groups and religious establishments
  • abuse suffered within the family
  • abuse or assaults by doctors or other medical professionals
  • abuse suffered as an adult
  • abuse of elder people by a health worker, member of staff, visitor or another resident at a care home
  • a single incident of a sexual or physical assault.

If you or a loved one have experienced one of these instances, or a similar event, we understand that revisiting the details may be distressing. Our experienced solicitors will support you throughout the claims process, ensuring that you can access the help you need to move forward.

How Much Compensation Will I Receive For A Sexual Or Other Criminal Abuse Claim

Events surrounding criminal abuse are very diverse. We would need to discuss your specific circumstances before predicting how much compensation you could claim.

The value of your claim would take into account:

  • the type and extent of the abuse you endured
  • how long the abuse continued
  • any physical injuries experienced as a result of the abuse
  • any medical treatment required
  • any counselling or therapy for psychological trauma
  • if your ability to work were affected (including the type of work you do and your future career prospects).

Be sure to contact us to discuss how much compensation you could be entitled to. It may be far more than you realise.

Who Can I Claim Compensation From?

You may have options as to who you can sue, depending on the nature of your abuse and who was responsible.

You can make a claim against:

  • the person who abused you
  • their employer (or any other organisation legally responsible for the behaviour of the abuser).

Most employers and organisations will have insurance to cover legal claims where they are at fault.

Types of organisations or employers could include:

  • religious or charitable organisations
  • local authorities
  • care homes
  • schools, colleges and universities
  • sports clubs and community groups
  • the Ministry of Defence.

When discussing your claim, we will be sure to establish the most appropriate person to raise a claim against.

Do I Need To Report The Abuse To The Police

If you haven’t reported the abuse you experienced to the police, we recommend you do so if you feel able to.

We can assist you in making initial contact and ensure that you speak to the right people, as well as supporting you through any subsequent criminal proceedings.

How Long Do I Have To Make A Sexual Or Other Criminal Abuse Claim?

In most cases, the time limit for pursuing a claim in the UK is three years. There is an exception for abuse against children, where claims can be raised at any time until their 21st birthday.

However, courts are aware that victims of sexual abuse in childhood can take years to build up the courage to report their abusers. In some cases, the time limit can be extended. If you were abused a long time ago, please contact us in confidence as soon as possible. We may still be able to help you.

Will I Need To Go To Court?

We understand that the thought of facing your abuser in court can be intimidating.

However, you should not let this give you doubts about raising your claim in the first instance. It is very unusual for a claim to result in a court hearing in front of a judge.

We will handle your case for you. In the vast majority of cases, we will be able to settle your claim out of court.

In the event that those liable for your abuse will not accept responsibility, it may be necessary to attend a court hearing. If this were to happen, our solicitors would support you every step of the way.


How Much Will It Cost To Make A Criminal Abuse Claim?

A No Win No Fee agreement (also known as a conditional fee agreement) gives you security and peace of mind when making a personal injury claim.

We offer No Win, No Fee agreements so – in the unlikely event that your claim is unsuccessful – it will cost you nothing.

In the likely event that you win your case, you may have to pay your solicitor a limited success fee. This is capped at 25% of the compensation for general damages and past losses.

Book a free chat with a Coles Miller personal injury lawyer to find out more about No Win No Fee compensation. We handle claims sensitively and privately. Complete the short email form below to enquire…

Meet the team

Adrian Cormack

Partner, Head of Personal Injury Department

Brian Parsons

Personal Injury Executive

Crispin Cormack

Serious Injury Paralegal

Jonathan Rich


Lauren Newman

Trainee Solicitor

Lucy Andrew

Costs Lawyer

Stacey Park

Serious Injury Paralegal

Jacob Emery

Solicitors Apprentice

Rosie Galway

Legal Secretary